Our 8th annual conference took place on 13 October 2022 at Sophia Gardens in Cardiff.
The theme of this year’s event was Where would we be without research?
We showcased the ground-breaking health and social care research as well as covered important topics such as changing policy and practice, public involvement, and building research capacity.
We also celebrated the work of the research community through our Health and Care Research Wales Awards, which were presented at the end of the conference.
Revisit the Health and Care Research Wales Conference 2022
Ground-breaking research: after COVID
A panel discussion exploring lessons for the impact of health and social care research from the COVID pandemic.
Chair: Professor Kieran Walshe, Director, Health and Care Research Wales
- Dr Diane Seddon, Reader in Social Care, Bangor University
- Professor Adrian Edwards, Director, COVID-19 Evidence Centre
- Professor Andrew Sewell, Distinguished Research Professor and Wellcome Trust Senior Investigator, Cardiff University
- Brendan Healy, Consultant in Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Public Health Wales
- Martin Rolph, Patient and Public Involvement contributor
Improving the quality and consistency of public involvement in health and social care research
This interactive workshop will explore the six UK Standards for Public Involvement and how they can be used to improve public involvement in health and social care research. There will be an opportunity to share ideas, learning and best practice.
Chair: Peter Gee, Senior Public Involvement Manager, Health and Care Research Wales – presentation
How do we build research capacity and develop researchers?
This session is an opportunity to hear presentations from leading researchers about researcher career development and building research capacity in Wales.
The panel of speakers will also discuss: What is working well in health and social care researcher career development in Wales? How is inclusivity and diversity being promoted across the researcher career pathway?
Chair: Professor Monica Busse, Director of Faculty, Health and Care Research Wales – presentation
- Professor Kerry Hood, Director, Centre for Trials Research & Health and Care Research Wales Senior Research Leader – presentation
- Dr Martin Elliott, Research Fellow, CASCADE – presentation
- Jayne Goodwin, Head of Research Delivery, Health and Care Research Wales – presentation
Improving how we deliver clinical research
A panel discussion to share and explore perspectives on what will make a difference to how we deliver research in the future.
Chair: Dr Nicola Williams, Director of Support & Delivery, Health and Care Research Wales – presentation
- Dr Janet Messer, Approvals Director, Health Research Authority
- Professor Andrew Carson-Stevens, Health and Care Research Wales Specialty Lead for Primary Care
- Dr Jennifer Harris, Director of Research Policy, Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI)
- Dr Lynne Grundy, Associate Director Research and Development, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
- Dr Andrea Longman, lay Research Ethics Committee member
Afternoon welcome address – Sir Frank Atherton, Chief Medical Officer for Wales
Our funded research: making a difference
This workshop will showcase some of the impactful projects and talented researchers who have received funding from Health and Care Research Wales.
Hear directly from the researchers who are addressing questions that have important implications for policy, practice and public benefit. Topics include: dementia; emergency care; cancer; and the use of technology in social care settings.
Chair: Michael Bowdery, Head of Programmes, Welsh Government
- Dr Ashra Khanom, Senior Research Fellow, Swansea University – presentation
- Dr Georgie Powell, Research Fellow, Cardiff University – presentation
- Gill Toms, Research Development Officer, Bangor University – presentation
- Professor Dean Harris, Consultant Colorectal Surgeon, Swansea Bay University Health Board – presentation
Effective research mobilisation and dissemination
This workshop will showcase innovative and interesting ways to help get health and social care research into practice
Listen to presentations from speakers across health and social care and join in a Q&A.
Chair: Dr Lisa Trigg, Assistant Director of Research, Data and Innovation, Social Care Wales – presentation
- Candace Imison, Associate Director of Evidence and Dissemination, NIHR Centre for Engagement and Dissemination – presentation
- Rebekah Vincent-Newson, Research and Evidence Manager, Social Care Wales – presentation
- Nick Andrews, Research and Practice Development Officer, Developing Evidence Enriched Practice (DEEP) – presentation
- Dr Micaela Gal, Knowledge Mobilisation Lead, Wales COVID-19 Evidence Centre – presentation
Exploring the relationship between research, policy and practice
Join Professor Annette Boaz and Professor Steve Martin for this In Conversation session as they explore the relationship between research, policy and practice
- Professor Annette Boaz, Professor of Health and Social Care Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- Professor Steve Martin, Director, Wales Centre for Public Policy
Awards and conference close
Closing remarks and presentation of the Health and Care Research Wales Awards 2022, celebrating the achievements of the research community in Wales over the past 12 months.
Speaker: Judith Paget CBE, Chief Executive, NHS Wales
Read about the talented researchers in Wales working on life-changing research who won at the Health and Care Research Wales Awards.